Frequently Asked Questions
Mental Health Emergencies
- After-Hours Mental Health Support: 401.865.2343 (press 2)
- On-Campus Emergency: Call Public Safety (24/7) – 401.865.2222
- Off-Campus Emergency: Call 911 /use your local emergency resources
How can I get in touch with the Personal Counseling Center (PCC)?
You can request an initial triage appointment at the PCC by:
- Calling the PCC front desk at 401.865.2343
- Stop by lower Bedford Hall (entrance faces the Business school)
- You can learn more about the PCC here, and read our staff bios here
Are services confidential?
- Yes. Even the fact of attending an appointment is confidential
- Information is shared with others only with your written consent
- In rare circumstances, disclosure of information may occur in the following circumstances: imminent concern for the safety of self or other, abuse of a minor or elder person, or by court subpoena
What would my first appointment be like?
In the first appointment you meet with our triage clinician.
- Prior to your appointment, you will receive a link to fill out two forms in a secure portal. Appointments are scheduled in 30 minute blocks, so it essential to have your forms completed before then.
- In the conversation with the clinician you will be asked questions about your presenting concern, background and medical history.
- You will have the opportunity to ask questions about our services.
- Sometimes referrals (with student permission) and can be made to resources on and off campus in the initial triage appointment.
- If you wish to continue with counseling services, then you will be assigned a clinician based on your scheduling availability and preferences you may have.
How much does it cost to visit the Personal Counseling Center (PCC)?
Counseling services are provided to all full time undergraduate students free of charge. Part time undergraduates, School of Continuing Education students and graduate students are eligible for one time consultation and referral when appropriate.
What types of support does the Personal Counseling Center (PCC) offer?
Individual Counseling and Psychotherapy
- Can range from a few sessions to ongoing sessions
- Most students meet with their individual clinicians every other week
- Small group format with peers who share similar struggles and concerns about a variety of issues
Psychiatric Services (medication management)
- Available for students who are concurrently engaged in talk therapy with one of the clinicians at the PCC and are in need of combined treatment
- We cannot offer medication-only treatments
Campus Resource Engagement
- Connecting students to supportive services on campus
- Helps those who are encountering challenges associated with any aspect of personal or college life
- Referrals to campus resources are done only with student permission as our services are confidential
Off Campus Referral Services/Care Coordination:
- Connecting students to long-term, open-ended counseling, weekly psychotherapy or specialized care
- Local referrals that match your clinical and insurance needs